How Can Acupuncture For Arthritis Treatment Help Me?
Need Relief From Arthritis?
The main benefit of acupuncture treatment for arthritis is pain relief.
Relief is achieved in 3 ways:
- Endorphin production which inhibits pain perception.
- Blocking of pain signals to the brain.
- Deactivation of trigger points (frequently found around arthritic joints. Tender, extremely reactive areas often responsible for chronic pain.)
Read this study on Arthritis.org demonstrating effectiveness of acupuncture for arthritis (opens new window)
Does It Work And What Results Can I Expect?
- Usually minimum of 6 treatments needed.
- 80% of patients respond within 3 treatments, 20-70% on 1st
- 20% of patients see no response.
Positive effect on symptoms in 3 primary types of arthritis:
Rheumatoid Arthritis – inflammation (swelling, heat, redness with pain). Inflammation varies based on stress levels and acupuncture has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Osteoarthritis – acupuncture studies show reduction in calcium deposited as a result of cartilage wear. Once beyond certain level of deterioration, acupuncture no longer effective in reversing the situation but will reduce pain.
Gouty arthritis – pain relief is main treatment. Gouty arthritis comes and goes based on stress and diet. Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture help with both of these areas.
Learn more about our treatments and typical results.